Saturday, June 14, 2014

Dear Dad,






It's been soooooooo many years since I saw you last, 37 to be exact. What a wonderful father and role model you were and still are, 'cause so many of the things I learned at your side still serve me well.
One of the brightest nuggets I still live by, is when you taught me (and my three sisters) how to look after ourselves 'cause nobody else was going to do it for us.
After twelve years of marriage, my husband left me and our then-9-year-old daughter and your wisdom was never truer.
I have taken your words to heart and tried to live my life with the honesty, integrity, morals and principles you lived by and instilled in all of us.
Thank you, dad, for being my dad and a job well done.



That's me (daughter #2) rowing. Sitting beside my dad is daughter #3. The whole time we were out on the water (not long enough in my estimation) my mom stood on the bank and screamed at him to bring us back). She was a non-swimmer and in her opinion, if the water was over your head, it was too deep! It's still a funny and precious memory.


© 2015 Phyllis Mahon - “ALL IMAGES AS COPYRIGHTED BY PHYLLIS MAHON ARE PROTECTED AND REGISTERED … IT’S UNLAWFUL TO REPOST, COPY OR PUBLISH IMAGES FROM THIS WEBSITE.”

3 comments:

  1. Very warm and touching memory of your Father. He would be proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grace. Despite being 'poor', I believe I had the best growing up years you can have. My dad was more than just a dad, he was my hero.

      Delete
  2. I read some of your blog posts – very interesting! I loved the story and picture of you and your dad in the rowboat. Reminded me of me and my dad on Lake of Bays in the late 60’s. SH

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment - no registering required. Your feedback is important! Thank you in advance.